Can I make DW site for someone who doesn't have DW?

aussie11

Hi to all

I came with one question, but having seen the old forum moved I now have a couple more.

If they seem naive it's because I am.

What circumstances would make someone move a site- such as the old forum to the new one?

Can you just direct the search engines to the new one without having to go to the old site?

I assume the reason for going to the old site - in this case- is to view old posts?

I am new to all of this but was interested in knowing why.

My original question:

I have been playing around with DW after following Stefan's video tutes, and playing with Fireworks and I have made

a few practice sites which have turned out quite ok. A couple of friends show interest in getting their own site on the net

and have asked me to make it for them.

My question is, if I make sites using dreamweaver and they don't have dreamweaver, or any other html editor,how will they update the site and make periodic changes? I don't mind doing the initial site for them, but do not want to be tied to doing updates etc?

If their web hosting had a site builder could they use that?

What circumstances would make someone move a site- such as the old forum to the new one?

Can you just direct the search engines to the new one without having to go to the old site?

I assume the reason for going to the old site - in this case- is to view old posts?

The old site was several years old, and the new forum is a bit more up to date and easier to use. The old site has been shut down, but is still available online in case old members need to reference old posts. It is also a useful reference, and hopefully visitors will still find it useful.

My original question:

I have been playing around with DW after following Stefan's video tutes, and playing with Fireworks and I have made

a few practice sites which have turned out quite ok. A couple of friends show interest in getting their own site on the net

and have asked me to make it for them.

My question is, if I make sites using dreamweaver and they don't have dreamweaver, or any other html editor,how will they update the site and make periodic changes? I don't mind doing the initial site for them, but do not want to be tied to doing updates etc?

If their web hosting had a site builder could they use that?

This is a bit of a tough topic... If your friends don't understand web design themselves, things will be more difficult. Basically, if you are making a static HTML site and they want to update it (and they don't have a HTML editor or know how to do web design) they have to come back to you.

Usually, the way I would approach this is to build a Content Management System into the site, such as Wordpress or CMS Made Simple. It will take a bit of your time figuring out how to use the system, but it will make it easy for clients to update the site without HTML knowledge. I highly recommend CMS Made Simple (http://www.cmsmadesimple.org) -- I have found it easy to learn and use.

I tend to discourage the use of a web site builder -- I usually find they aren't great quality and generate bad code.

I am a big fan of Wordpress because it is really easy to use and install and it has a huge community behind it. That means lots of templates, plug-ins etc ...

We also have Wordpress videos too.

-

I have not used CMS Made Simple, so I can't comment on it except to say some of our members like it.

Stefan