Streamline My Site

wayne

My linkMy homebuilt photography website requires a lot of ongoing work. I'd like to streamline it to where I could simply change a photo and descriptive text that goes with it without stopping to make a new code page. Any ideas? How do those ready made sites like Smugmug, etc. do this?

Could you give a little more description on what you want?

Hi, grabenair. What I'd like is to have a section of my site where I could post pics with ease like you can with Facebook or smugmug, etc. On those sites you simply upload the image and write some text and hit send.

If I could do that on part of my site I'd be able to post a lot more images than I do now because of the time it takes me to build a page for each image. I spend a lot of time in the field, so a quick post here and there woould be a big help.

I found some photo galleries on hotscripts.com just type in photo galleries in the search bar. Or you could move your site to a Wordpress site and use a plug in like nextgen gallery. You can check that out at one of my sites http://www.masoncitymotox.com it is easy to use and customize. The other alternative is to write a custom script to do the job.

This is an update to the above. I think what you are doing is making a new page every time you click an image to view the larger one. If that is right you might want a light box. What that does is not change page it pops up the image over the current page like at http://www.meuzelaar21mxracing.com/photo_gallery.htm then you just add a thumbnail and a larger image to the gallary.

Edited by grabenair

Thanks for the response, ideas. The Wordpress plug in idea looked good, but I'd rather keep my site mine as far as code goes, and all it controls.

Not sure about the lightbox idea, but I'll look into it. Just thought there might be a way to write my own code so that the thumbs and larger image files could be posted quickly, at least for a section of my website.

You got me interested in the lightbox idea, so I looked at Lightbox2. They seem to use a lot more code than the page you referenced above. Did you use Photo Gallery from Photoshop, or is this your own code? And which lightbox software do youy recommend?

Mason city moto x is Wordpress and the other is a javascript script that I downloaded and edited. Just went and looked it is lightbox2. Another idea is disjointed rollover.

I still do not understand what you mean by having to make a new code page. Not trying to sound like a smart butt, but could you not simply add a div to your page where your gallery is with a description and image?

If you want I can give you the older lightbox 2, it is open source. Just let me know and I will go and download it and zip it up for you.

You're right when it comes to the thumbnail pages. Just add a div.

But then there's the large image page for each thumb, and they require more changes such as Page Title, header, description of image, and/or title, div for path to the image, and then describe it's dimensions and add an alt. Then add info for left arrow and right arrow.

I shoot regularly and to keep up the website I'd need to make pages constantly.

Just looking for a way to lessen the work. Maybe it's time to reuse pages and simply add new info and images. But I still like the idea of a Lightbox where the viewer can see a large number of images without leaving the page.

I do not know why I am so bone headed sometimes but I just figured out what you are doing. You should not have to have a whole new page for each large photo. You can use javascript and do a show hide on each one. Have it connected to your next and previous buttons. A gallery effect only you hide all but the one you want to view. This way you only have one page for all of the large images. Another Idea is to have the thumbnails horizontal say 4 or 5 depending on how they look with the larger image on top changing when the thumb is hovered on. Just throwing out suggestions.

I like the lightbox, some say it is overused but it is all subjective. When I show my new sites to friends and family for testing they all say "cool" when they see the lightbox.

Having trouble with Lightbox2. I can't get the thumbnails to show on the page. The only thing that shows is a link to an image. Come to think of it there was no place in Lightbox2 that mentioned thumbnails. I've attached a snip of the index page(the page I decided to try this on) showing where I added the code. Any ideas?