Video to be controlled by program NOT end user!

draig_hand

Hello,

I wasn't sure that I could choose the appropriate forum for this query so, if anyone can advise me of the correct forum I would appreciate it.

Please note that I am deliberatelly not mentioning formats or applications in this query!

I wish to have a video on my web page that has no direct user control of Start, Pause, Stop, etc.

The video presented needs to be controlled by the background program which at appropriate points will advance or pause the video.

Can anyone advise the best video format and best program language to use to accomplish this?

In addition would anyone know where I can see an example of this sort of thing in action.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

That's easy, use the Flash format and play just about any video format.

With the Flash 10 player and up, a Flash movie/video player can read and play back multiple video formats including:

- FLV

- h.264

- Quicktime

... and others.

The preferred video format is h.264.

Using Flash as the player will allow you to remotely control (from the server) the playback of the video. You can do just about anything, for example: you could at a particular time index in the video, have the Flash player fire off a request to a database and then display that information on screen while the video is still playing. Or you could tell Flash to pause the video and load a new page.

... Etc.

Powerful stuff.

Stefan

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I've been reading up on Flash, as you say it's powerfull, unfortunately it's powerfully expensive too.

Can you recommend a cheaper alternative that I could use until I'm profficient enough to justify the purchase of Flash?

Something that would make the transition to Flash straightforward.

What is your budget?

One option is to get the previous version ... it has a lot of the same capability and you should be able to get it for a lot less ... try ebay.

Other than that, for the control that you specified I can't think of anything cheaper. You may try Microsoft Silverlight ... it is a Flash competitor. I just don't know too much about the specific capabilities though.

Stefan

• 1 month later...

Hello Stefan,

My reason fro delay in reply to your last post is that I have taken your advice and 'bitten the bullet' and obtained CS3 since which time I have been struggling to learn how to use it all. (it's a very powerfull and comprehensive package!)

I have opened a new thread which you may be interested to view - http://www.killersites.com/forums/post/10185/#p10185

Thankyou for taking the time to answer my earlier request.