connecting to my server's database

Repeater

Hi, I live in Japan. I have a very basic question. Since my Japanese is ....No Good... , setting things up here has been interesting to say the least. At this stage, it's time to wean off the WAMP/APACHE database tutorial Steve teaches, typing LOCALHOST and getting results has been fun, but now I want to go dynamic on the Web. To use my server's database. The problem seems to be my PHP examples work fine on the APACHE server but not on Firefox. When I upload a .php program and access it, it does not execute. Only the source code comes up on the screen. Thanks a bunch guys. "Watch out for that first step, it's a doozey" B. Bunny

Edited by Repeater

I'll tell you what I get from a UK hosting service and then you can check whether your Japanese host can provide the same:-

mysql database

unlimited data tables

phpmyadmin control panel

mysql 4 or 5

php 5

perl/modperl

cron jobs

cgi-bin

.htaccess allowed

ssi

password protected dirs

custom error pages

frontpage extensions

graphical web stats

usage report

hotlink protection

index manager

ip deny manager

-ssl

web file manager

cPanel control panel

email accounts

disk space 2gb

40 gb data transfer / mo

the number of databases, email accounts, monthly tranfer limits, ect depends on what package you have.

At first, you use a username and password given to you to access the control panel and you use the DNS numbers to link to your domain name provider (domain name provider, hosting service and ISP[ should preferably be three different companies).

You open a MySQL database and create your own database name and password for that.

PHP 5 and phpadmin are just processing by the hosting service, no passwords required.

• 3 weeks later...

Repeater here: newbie to newbies: It turns out nothing is working when I upload my PHP programs to the browser (Firefox, IE) because my host provider does NOT support PHP programming. Thus no way to access a server using PHP and so on. I get it now. Will be following the usual course of designing my interactive page using APACHE, MYSQL and PHP wrapped in the WAMP2 download and seeking a different host once said web site is ready for release.

Anyone else experiencing a hostile browser to your PHP creations, this may be the reason.

Thanks.