IE7 in standalone version

virtual

Hi All,

I just upgraded to IE8 on my virtual machine and wanted to know where I can get a standalone version of IE7. I already have IE6 in standalone, but for some reason the navigational links won't work in it since the upgrade. Although that's not really going to matter much as there are fewer users now with Microsoft pushing the upgrade to IE8.

I have used this with great success:

IE Collection

Let me say first that IE8 has a developer tool bar. Just looking under Tools from the browsers dropdown menu. Once the toolbar opens you will see in the middle top of that developer toolbar that states Browser Mode: IE8. Just click on that and you can change it to render IE7 on the fly. Change it back when you are done.

Like you, I had the same setup...IE8 with IE6. My first install of IE Collection didn't go well because IE6 was existing and so IE6 broke the menu. Additionaly, it broke my bookmarks for IE8.

It's best to uninstall IE6 first, reboot and check IE8. It all should be working fine. Now run IE Collection. Install IE6 only (because you already have the IE7 rendering tool as stated earlier). That means you will need to uncheck everything except IE6.

Thats it! Your IE6 should be working fine except maybe for the bookmarks. This was never meant to be a fully function IE6 browser anyway but instead to view how your page would look for this version.