CIW Webmaster resume

Guest Im8kuc

Guest Im8kuc

This question may seem elementary to experienced web designers, but I really need to know.

What are Web Design vendors looking for in a resume?

I have certification in CIW Foundations, Site Designer, and will take the E-Commerce v5 exam this Friday.

I have been told that knowing Javascript is imperative, as well as CSS.

True? Or, is knowledge of Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Flash the best bet?

Good question, but maybe it should be moved to... Business of Web Design? New to web design myself, so I'm interested in the responses. I would think that all skills you mentioned are important - the more you have to offer the better chance you will have at landing a job with better pay. From what I've read on this forum - I would think Flash might be the last to learn.

I'm curious in process you took to become certified through CIW. Did you attend classes, study online, or self-study and then take each exam?

Best of luck, Mark

• 2 months later...
Guest CIWgeeza

I'm still studying towards my CIW 525 but have already passed through the foundations and site designer stages. I am currently studying a distance learning IT training course with www.com puteach.co.uk [remove spaces].

Having a background in Photoshop and coming to the IT industry from a Marketing point of view, I would say that the design and development side were more important. Most people these days are looking for CMS systems so I would concentrate on designing usable templates with open source CMS (like Joomla).

Employers are more likely to want to see design portfolios and see experience of some development and understanding of key concepts.

Good luck with your studies everyone!:D