Complicated question about Flash, Email, and GoDaddy.

TomJohnson

Ooook, so this is my first post on this forum but from what I have read. You guys know what your talking about. My question is pretty complicated so I will try to make it as clear as I can (sorry ahead of time if it comes out confusing haha).

So what I am trying to do is:

• ---Create an E-Card type thing in flash where people can write their information on the card.
    ---Then below the card type in their friends email and name and a message.
    --- Have the card send to their friends email address.

I am not exactly an expert at programming in PHP or Actionscript but this is what I have done so far:

• ---Created the card with area's allowing the inputing of text (with Limitations).
    ---Created the fields below it allowing the inputing of text including scroll buttons for the message.
    ---Given each of the text fields in the form a variable name (friendsname, friendsemail, message).
    ---Given the form below the card the "form" instance name and made it a movie clip.
    ---Created a "send" button that loads the variables from "form" via the POST method and runs email.php when the button is released.
    ---Made it so when the variables are loaded from the "form" it goes to a Thank You screen.

Now it comes to the questions, I have a few haha

For the Flash File:

My knowledge of how to make the E-card save as an image and be included in the email is very limited to say the least. I would assume that I needed to use something like BitmapData to copy the data included in the image (including the text that was put in via the editable text area) but I have no idea if this is the best way...or how I would even do that.

For the PHP:

My PHP file (email.php) is pretty complicated for me so I would not be surprised if I missed something or just messed up completely. I am trying to have the variables in the "form" movie clip, sent from Flash when the send button is pressed, imported into the email and used as the recipient of the email. Here is what my code looks like:

<?php

$sendTo = "me@website.com" ;
$subject = "Flash Trial Site Reply" ;

$headers = "From: " . $_POST["friendsname"] . "<" . $_POST["friendsemail"] .">\r\n" ;
$headers .= "Reply-To: " . $_POST["friendsemail"] . "r\n\ ;
$headers .= "Return-Path: " . $_POST["friendsemail"] ;
$message = $_POST["message"] ;

mail ($sendTo, $subject, $message, $headers) ;

?>

Again, don't laugh at me. Could be completely wrong I have never done anything this Flash-information-intensive. I do not have access right now to my server so I got a domain on GoDaddy and have been looking at it there which brings on a whole new set of problems. I am not sure what the limitations are on GoDaddy but I don't want to set it up according to their form mailer seeing as I need it to work on my server after.

I hope this wasn't tooo confusing and if you feel like you can help me out with ANY section of my problems even if it's just something little that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks, I will look into both of those suggestions. Do you know where I might be able to find someone that could help me with this problem? haha I am trying as hard as i can to get it figured out but nothing I am trying is working. I asked also on the adobe forum but haven't had any success yet.

Thanks

I would suggest looking into the GD image library. This would allow you to create an image on the fly (with the text specified by the user). This image could then be passed to flash to create the e-card.

Most hosts have the GD image library installed for PHP by default; you can read the documentation for it here. You probably want to use something like imagettftext().

I would warn you; this probably won't be easy.

Edited by monkeysaurus

I use Westhost. They have a fairly inexpensive package right now, at $12 / month, billed monthly. You can host as many domains as you want on it, too. You also get SSH access, which is awesome - no more downloading something, then uploading it back to your server - just use wget from the shell, and download it at 1MB / sec or so. MUCH faster than dealing with FTP.

You'll have to modify the server config to get MySQL and PHP installed, but their software makes it pretty quick.

I was hosting through GoDaddy, and was spending about $75 / month. Westhost has better service, better features, and cut my expenses quite a bit. With SSH access, I can even set up my own FTP server, manage users, and resell hosting packages :)

• 3 years later...

I will suggest you to once check out with ##### Hosting. It is reliable and easy to use.

It's a good idea to always check the dates of the post you're replying to: this one is from 2008, and if you click to the poster's profile, you can see that this OP was last active on Killersites in December 2008.