IE to be removed from Microsoft operating system 7

Wickham

My newspaper says that IE is to be removed from Microsoft operating system 7 in Europe (so perhaps it won't happen outside Europe).

MS has been forced onto the defensive by European Regulators after a complaint by the Norwegian owners of Opera about the uncompetitive market for browsers.

I remember that the same thing happened when Netscape complained in the early 1990s and Microsoft lost a court case but IE still remained in the OS; whether MS paid a fine I can't remember. Netscape found it very hard to survive.

It seems that MS will offer computer manufacturers the choice of having IE pre-installed or not and most are still expected to have IE bundled in the OS.

I think that people without IE on their computers will not be able to get automatic software updates from Microsoft although they will be able to download them individually with other browsers, which will be too much trouble for most computer users who won't know which to download, so I expect most people will still want IE pre-installed.

• 1 month later...
I noted the Laptops now on Sale at COSCO (HP I think) now offer a free Windows 7 Upgrade, much like I got the free Vista upgrade with my Laptop as it would be released soon.

From my understanding it is suppose to be released officially on 10/22/09.

Newegg.com had a pre-buy special rate of $99 for a limited time for upgrade version but that was a few weeks ago and it was for a limited time.

• 1 month later...

that's the end of the beta download availability date. if u have it then it should last until i believe june next year when it will start shutting down the pc every 2 hours

i don't believe it will be available to purchase til closer to then even if they are claiming an official date. (i haven't seen one but i haven't looked at all)