Audio Files

youngros

Hi,

Just upload an mp3 file of the sermon and then link to it on your web page. When a user clicks on the mp3, their default media player will pop open and play the mp3 once it is downloaded. This will all be automatic.

On Windows, that would probably be Windows Media Player and on Mac, Itunes.

Hope that helps,

Stefan

Not quite what I had in mind.

Website is for a church and the Pastor wants to put his sermons online. He doesn't write them down, or only makes notes, so wants to put them on as an audio file.

Hope this explains it.

Maybe you don't understand what it does. The "first" link can play a sound (like the demo) or a full serman. It can be played via mouseover (like the demo) or onClick (a button). A more cross browser/OS solution does not exist.

As much as I hate audio on web sites... this is a good case of justification for it.

That said I would agree with Eric. You have to think of the end user. They may be on a Mac, Linux or windows... They may use a Wii or Playstation (no, not likely, but certainly possible if their computer is broken for instance) and what about mobiles and cell phones? My wife has an iPhone and rarely touches her PC anymore. What if I am a member, I travel allot, I may wish to here my pastors sermon while out of town... or hospitalized, sick people would wish for the comfort away from church. A preacher is a good example of a case where it really needs to be cross browser and cross user agent and accessible to those with disabilities who often seek our religion for comfort.

I would go as far as to say video would be good for hard of hearing who can read lips top help... and minimum he/you should offer a text version for those who cannot hear it due to say background noise... or poor speakers on the phone etc. or not to disturb others (aka hospital room).

Have the secretary or someone transcribe the audio into text format as an alternative to the audio or video... video would be good as well as simple audio to offer as handhelds would struggle more with video then audio due to size and bandwidth. Best to offer choices... so the user can choose what they need as well as want. Text and audio minimum.

Thanks,

I've got it working with the files on the download, I just need to get a semon now to try it out. I don't have any small mp3 files, all I have is music files which are quite big.

Ideally the sermons should be written out, but they are not and there is no secretary. This is a very small evangelical church based here on the Island of Madeira, the minister also does radio broadcasts to The Azores, so recording is not a problem, but video and writing it down are.

• 3 weeks later...

Received the first sermon today and tried to get it to work with Eric's code, but nothing.

It is 13.7Mb any ideas on what I am doing wrong.

I changed the name of the "baby" mp3 to that of the name of the sermon, and I uploaded the sermon.

It is definitly not the easiest thing to get working. I had to do a lot of starring at the screen too I remember. Did you change where the files are located? I think the .XML and the .mp3 have to be in the same folder as the HTML page. Aside from that, I would suggest following this http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/scriptsound.html to the "T". He also has a trouble shooting at the bottom.

Hi Eric,

finally got the sermon working on a test page of the church's site, which is good, Think some of the sermon is missing, so will have to check before putting it live.

Then decided to play with the same system on my site. First of all downloaded the files, and the baby makes the required noises. Changed all the file names to that of the sermon and ..... nothing!! Back to the drawing board. Cannot see anything different at the moment as did it exactly the same way as before.

More reading of the tutorial.

Can i suggest that you use something like JW flash player, its a free Flash player, that will allow users to click play and it will play the mp3 or any file that you want.

You can however also make it fetch the audio file from a mysql database, or any database, this way you dont have to make a xml file, or even a page for each audio file.

Hi Eric, it does work in Firefox, but takes ages to. Have been told it works OK in IE8 and loads alright, but I know that to be fast computer and fast connection.

Downloaded the JW Flash player and that is OK so far, but don't know how to call the mp3 file. Looking around their forum, I'm none too impressed and the site assumes you to know more than I actually do. :( Will keep trying.