Silly question of the day :)

Susie

On some websites, when I click the back button, I am taken right back to the spot in the page where I was reading. Sometimes, however, I'm taken to the top of the page and have to scroll back down to where I was. I don't see anything in the code that controls that, but maybe I'm missing it. How can I always make sure users are returned to the spot where they were reading rather than the top of the page?

On some websites, when I click the back button, I am taken right back to the spot in the page where I was reading. Sometimes, however, I'm taken to the top of the page and have to scroll back down to where I was. I don't see anything in the code that controls that, but maybe I'm missing it. How can I always make sure users are returned to the spot where they were reading rather than the top of the page?

It might have to do with whether the page you are returning to is cached or not cached.

On My static pages which get cached.. I always return to Last Spot

but on my Dynamic pages which are not cached. I always returned to the Top

I'm definitely not talking about anchor links. I mean...you are reading on a page, scrolling down the whole time, and you click on a link. After you are finished reading the new stuff at the link, you click the Back button. Sometimes you are taken right back to where you left off and sometimes you are taken to the top of the page.

The cache idea is interesting. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Although, I just did a little test and all my sites that are powered by Wordpress take you back to where you left off. However, the sites powered by CMS Made Simple do not. Hmmmmmm........ More investigation.....