Div Background Colour Not Showing Up In Ie

sureshot111

Hello Hello, first post here from an official beginner!

I have made every effort to find out why I have this problem beforehand, had a reasonable search through this forum, google etc, but just can't seem to find the answer. I may not be wording things correctly, I just don't know, hope you guys can help. If I have missed something obvious in terms of a Google search or general programming then I'll trust you'll point this out :)

Problem:

I am putting a site together with several containers with white backgrounds. All browsers bar IE (all versions I think), render my code perfectly. In IE for some reason the white backgrounds disappear. I've tried using different colour formats as well as removing all but one container, but no no avail. Don't know what else to say really as this is my first post.

http://www.datacablingwales.co.uk/DC2/index

http://www.datacablingwales.co.uk/DC2/about_us (this is the page where I have removed all but the main container that comes below the menu)

Many thanks

This doesn't explain much. Maybe you have provide a couple of screen captures, one showing what's wrong and the other of what it should look like.

On another note, you have some coding practices that is not going to appear correctly in various screen sizes.

I do not get that issue. I do indeed see the white background. You stated in your original post this:

All browsers bar IE (all versions I think), render my code perfectly. In IE for some reason the white backgrounds disappear.

You've mention that IE is working fine and then in the next sentence it is not.

Also, what OS are you using?

I do not get that issue. I do indeed see the white background. You stated in your original post this:

All browsers bar IE (all versions I think), render my code perfectly. In IE for some reason the white backgrounds disappear.

Do you see the white backgrounds in IE?

Not sure where I've mentioned IE is working fine? I stated that all browsers "bar" IE render my code perfectly. I'm running OSX 10.6.8 with IE running on VirtualBox and I've also checked it on a Windows XP pro machine. Thanks for helping with this.

Well I forgot if you want to use rgb for your colors it is fine. But if you want to put in some transparency using rgb then you need to write it as rgba the (a) is the alpha channel. And then is wrote the way that you did it above. With out the a in rgba it is only expecting 3 properties. And just for you know the long hand form for this looks like this rgb{ (255,255,255); opacity:1;} This is to help you understand that with rgba we are adding a property to the color. Hope this helps you understand better.

Edited by grabenair

I think by "bar", he's meaning "except". It made me a little confused too at first.

Well I forgot if you want to use rgb for your colors it is fine. But if you want to put in some transparency using rgb then you need to write it as rgba the (a) is the alpha channel. And then is wrote the way that you did it above. With out the a in rgba it is only expecting 3 properties. And just for you know the long hand form for this looks like this rgb{ (255,255,255); opacity:1;} This is to help you understand that with rgba we are adding a property to the color. Hope this helps you understand better.

Ah right I see that you can add opacity as a property directly after an RGB color, thanks for help with this folks, I've learnt a lot :clap: