How can almost identical css cause such big changes?

capnhud

I was noticing as a trying to develop this web page that I had in the style sheet what I thought was exactly the same as what I had in a duplicate style sheet. But upon close examination I noticed that one selector was different but was achieving the same result.

the selector in question is this page

#header {

height: 110px

}

and on this page

#header {

height: 120px;

margin: 0 0 5px;

}

if you try to make the 120 pixel page equal the 110px page it breaks and I was just wondering why? Everything else is the exact same.

Edited by capnhud

The second page has a #header div height of 125px (120px plus bottom 5px margin as three sizes means top, each side, bottom). A page often breaks when you increase the size of a div and sometimes even if you reduce the size of a div.

I would suggest getting rid of that character (text) at the upper left corner first because that certainly does push the header down a bit.

I noticed that but I could only assume that was from using

But even changing to jquery-1.3.2.min.js it is still there.

Edited by capnhud

two of us are trying to help, I hope we aren't confusing you.

Your html page appears top have been saved as utf-8 and this causes a byte-order mark at the top left corner of a page. Save your html pages as encoding ANSI to avoid this. There are three boxes whern you save a file, the filename, the type (html) and encoding which most people don't check.

No am not getting confused I was only trying get to the heart of the matter as to why this was happening and now I see that the script tag because I had them indented I just backspaced them back and once I did that and reuploaded the page promptly broke using 110px. I just dont get why I could not see that as a problem. Or maybe just using Autokey has some risk. Aptana how do you specify the encodings when you save a page? If you know by chance.

I found how to set the encodings thanks once again for heads up.

Edited by capnhud