Help with CSS

rafmedia

Whats wrong with my CSS? =(

A:link {color: #008cdc, text-decoration: underline}

A:visited {color: #008cdc, text-decoration: underline}

A:hover {color: #008cdc, text-decoration: none}

Please help

You need ";" following your css statements, rather than commas. For example, this is the correct code:

a:link    { color: #008cdc; text-decoration: underline; }

CSS is case sensitive

I don't think you are right, but I may be corrected. It's a requirement of XHTML to use lower case, but I don't think XHTML fails with upper case, it just brings up validation errors.

It's good practice to use lower case with HTML.

Lower case and upper case are critical with filenames and urls, so that if the filename is File.HTML and the link has file.html most servers will fail to make the connection.

Edit: You were almost right and so was I.

With this code:-

br />   "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

Test

<br />#Wrapper { position: relative; background-color: blue; width: 500px; <br />height: 500px; }<br />#inner { position: absolute; left: 80px; bottom: 15px; background-color: <br />pink; width: 200px; height: 100px; }<br />A { color: green; }<br />A:hover { color: blue; }<br />

Inner div

Inner div

Inner div

Test
Test

The links have correct colors in both links even though one has conflicting lower case while the style is upper case (using IE7).

However, with the #wrapper it must be the same, either both lower case or both upper case, in the markup and style or the div background doesn't show, so the rule is that tags are OK if not the same but IDs must be the same (like filenames).

The

Edited by Wickham

I'm sure you're right. But, it doesn't seem right to me.

"a" and "A" seem like apples and oranges...

Out of curiosity, how does that hold up in FX3? I've always heard that IE shows you what you want it to look like but, FX shows you what you wrote.

It's the same in Firefox 3. Both links work with color change on hover even though one has a lower case/upper case mismatch but the #wrapper must be spelled with the same lower or upper case as the markup or the styles don't work.

We both agree, though, that lower case is preferred, even for HTML.

Edited by Wickham