How To Choose Proper Domain Name For Your Online Business?

madmhan84

Hi, I'd just like to ask few questions about choosing domain names:

1.) Does .com, .net, .org matter when choosing domain names?

2.) What the difference between Hyphenated domain names in non-hyphenated?

3.) Do you have to name your website like the name of your company?

Thanks

Edited by madmhan84
  • Like 1

1. .com is the most common and preferred but I don't think it matters from a SEO perspective. One thing you might want to be careful of is that if you use a domain extension that is NOT .com you will need to check the .com site of the same name because you could be providing info or products for you site while the other site is doing something else that might be inappropriate. You don't want your client to accidently enter the wrong extension ending on a site that may be offensive to them even though it's not your site. Also, check the domain history before registering. Some domains have a bad history.

2. Hyphenated domains is not a problem from the SEO perspective. What you should be the deciding factor is how the domain name is translated from person to person. If you have a domain called www.youcandoit.com you can simply give you address to another person by saying: "You Can Do It dot com". Most people will not have a problem in remembering or writing it down. Now if you have hypens in that same domain which would look like this: www.you-can-do-it.com you would end up saying it like this: "You hyphen Can hyphen Do hyphen It dot com". See my point? So the questions you ask yourself are: How easy was it for you to tell them the url? How easy was it for them to remember or write it down?

3. No. You can do whatever you like so long it makes sense. For instance, there is a church called HighPoint Church but the domain they use is www.churchunusual.com

Edited by Eddie

Thank you very much for replying! :)

1. .com is the most common and preferred but I don't think it matters from a SEO perspective. One thing you might want to be careful of is that if you use a domain extension that is NOT .com you will need to check the .com site of the same name because you could be providing info or products for you site while the other site is doing something else that might be inappropriate. You don't want your client to accidently enter the wrong extension ending on a site that may be offensive to them even though it's not your site. Also, check the domain history before registering. Some domains have a bad history.

- How about if that .com website (by the other) and my .net website offers the same services or with similarties? Can they sue me even if I created my own contents?

2. Hyphenated domains is not a problem from the SEO perspective. What you should be the deciding factor is how the domain name is translated from person to person. If you have a domain called www.youcandoit.com you can simply give you address to another person by saying: "You Can Do It dot com". Most people will not have a problem in remembering or writing it down. Now if you have hypens in that same domain which would look like this: www.you-can-do-it.com you would end up saying it like this: "You hyphen Can hyphen Do hyphen It dot com". See my point? So the questions you ask yourself are: How easy was it for you to tell them the url? How easy was it for them to remember or write it down?

- I'd try an experiment on this one with hyphenated and non-hyphen website and the result is:

a.) If I will write the "howtobuildwebsite.com" in the url bar it goes to this website: http://www.howtobuildwebsites.com/'>http://www.howtobuildwebsites.com/

b.) If I will write the "how to build websites" in the google search box and also in the address bar the first site that will be displayed is: how-to-build-websites.com (by Stef Mischook)

.... and now I can't even see this site: http://www.howtobuildwebsites.com/ in the first 10 website google results :blink:

- My question now is, Which one is better the one you type in the address/url bar or the one you type in the google search box when choosing for your domain name?

- Is this implying that hyphenated domain names is better than those none?

3. No. You can do whatever you like so long it makes sense. For instance, there is a church called HighPoint Church but the domain they use is www.churchunusual.com

- How about sir the one that I've read is "Your website name should be your domain name?"

Example: I would like to name my website as: Information for You! But the one I registered for my domain name is: info4u.com

Is this Ok?

Thanks again, and I'm sorry for my newbie questions! :P

Edited by madmhan84

Always best to chose .com. Better to take a slight hit on your prefered domain than to take a .net or other. Best to be unique. If you pick a name that already has a large google presence your domain and site will be drowned out.

Thank you very much for sharing your idea :D

• 5 months later...
1.) Does .com, .net, .org matter when choosing domain names?

Ye . you must choose the region from where your visitors will be , If they will be from all over the world you need to take domains like .net, .org ...

2.) What the difference between Hyphenated domain names in non-hyphenated?

Here is a cool article for this question badfactor.com/choosing-a-domain-name-dashes-or-no-dashes .

3.) Do you have to name your website like the name of your company?

Yes , I have company name and one keyword in my domain .

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

If you want to choose a proper domain name for your online business, you should go with the .com because it the most common and preferred but it doesn't matter for the SEO purpose. Make sure when you choose a domain name your domain name should short and sweet, so it's easy to remember and pronounce. If you want to choose the proper domain name for your online business go for .com which is the

• 10 months later...