Unable to upload video

edoplaza

Hello,

I'm trying to upload a small video to my site but it doesn't work.

The log says:

An FTP error occurred - cannot put LaserVerdeWeb.wmv. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.

The file does exist, so it's a permission problem. How can I fix it? Is it a Dreamweaver problem, or a hosting problem?

Thanks

Eduardo

Edited by edoplaza

You are right! It was a problem with the hosting. It is solved now. Thanks.

Now I have a second question. I am trying to upoload a Flash video embedded in a page I already created time ago. Now, it seems that as the page is related to a template, it won't let me add some "script" I need for this video. How should I proceed? Should I add this script to the template page?

The message says:

"Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or translator. The change will be discarded."

Thanks

Eduardo

Templates are a nightmare! I,ve inherited two sites now that are built using templates. Basically, it puts all the controll in the hands of dreamweaver - yuk! I,m sure theres a way to get rid of the template system, although I don't know how.

I had the same problem with some flash two days ago - the template would'nt play the damn thing while testing. So I stuck the code in notepad, removed all the template code, replaced the existing embedd code (that needed the script that the DMV chocked on), and then put it back into DW.

to answer your question though, yes just add it to the template file. But... now you have that script on every page! if you have the flash on every page then fine, but this is why templates suck.

Or do what I did, just remove that page from the template by removing all of its template tags.

Thanks Eric,

So, If I've got it right, I have two options:

a) Get rid of templates

B) Detach the specific page from the main template

For option a), I don't know how to build a site with no templates. I know there is something called "includes", but I don't know how it works.

For option B), Let's say I detach that page frome the main template. Then, if I have to change something on the main template, will I have to change it manually for that page? What if I have many pages with videos, as the client wants? That would be a pain in the neck!

I read somewhere that it had something to do with the css file. I'll check it out.

Anyway, I'm kind of hopeless, because the site is almost ready, and I've put a lot of work on the template files. I don't really want to think about starting from scratch just because those stupid templates. How can dreamweaver keep the same mistake over and over?

Well, I think I've found a solution!

I hope it will work for everybody.

When adding a flash video, Dreamweaver automatically creates a script in 3 parts:

a) Just under the

tag:

B) Just after the (make sure you don't include this tag):

c) Just where you placed the video:

To sum up, the first code goes just under the

tag , the second one just after the tag, and the third one goes embedded where you put the video in the first place. In my case, just after a

tag, inside an editable region.

So, if you paste the first and second parts (without the tag) of the code just before the third one, and create one big script, it will work, because all the information will be added on the "editable region".

I proceeded this way: I opened a new blank page, detached from any template, added the flash video, copied all 3 parts, one by one, of the code, and pasted them in a specific place of the page attached to the template.

I hope I am right about this, if not, my mistake!

Regards,

Eduardo

Edited by edoplaza

Thanks Eric,

So, If I've got it right, I have two options:

a) Get rid of templates

B) Detach the specific page from the main template

For option a), I don't know how to build a site with no templates. I know there is something called "includes", but I don't know how it works.

For option B), Let's say I detach that page frome the main template. Then, if I have to change something on the main template, will I have to change it manually for that page? What if I have many pages with videos, as the client wants? That would be a pain in the neck!

I read somewhere that it had something to do with the css file. I'll check it out.

Anyway, I'm kind of hopeless, because the site is almost ready, and I've put a lot of work on the template files. I don't really want to think about starting from scratch just because those stupid templates. How can dreamweaver keep the same mistake over and over?

Your welcome,

Includes are easy, but I understand, tackle it on your next project. You can have multiple master template files. One for the regular pages and one for the ones with vids etc. I don't know how to create them though. While I see their usefulness, they're a pain and I don't use them.

That's pretty much the exact same code for the flash that this site I'm working on had. For some reason, if I detached it from the template system, it wouldn't play the flash. As suspected, it was the Script causing the problems for some unknown reason. So I just removed it all and replaced it with my preferred method - this...

Edited by Eric

Thanks again Eric,

Try out the solution I found and let me know what you think about it.

I just wanted to correct one issue I didn't see in my previous message. Where it says:

(Spanish text is mine),

There is a problem if you don't erase those two lines while pasting the whole script: you'll have twice the

tag on the same page. So I opened the main template, changed the tag to this new tag, and updated the rest of the pages. Then, I erased the little script from the specific page. This piece of script just checks out whether the user has the Flash player installed or not, so I think it's not harmful to put it on the main template.