Hits with Google and Yahoo

ciulmer

How can I get more hits to a site using google and yahoo? Ive read using meta tags anymore isnt as helpful as it used to be thanks to people abusing them. How exactly does a search engine find websites? Gonna do more research but any help is appreciated.

How exactly does a search engine find websites?

The way search engines rank pages is secret and seems to vary over time, so it's difficult to guess how they do it.

However, it's a fair bet that Google scans every webpage completely and will find nearly all web pages within a day or two; but it may not consider a page worth ranking until it becomes popular.

It also depends on how a viewer uses the search function. If someone searches for hotels Google will find millions of web pages. If you search for hotels in London it will show thousands but if you search for hotels in Park Lane London Google will find a few and if you had a website about one of those hotels it would probably appear on the first page or two whereas in a search for just hotels your page might be thousands of pages down the list.

It helps to think about what words people would use to search and then incorporate them in your page title, page headings and page text as Google will scan the whole page for association of words and proximity of the key words to each other.

Interesting. So my best bet is to have a good title containing the information thats likely to get put into the search engine? Even after ive done that it could take hours, days, weeks, months for either or any search engines to find the site and list it? I changed the sites title anyways, removed any abbriviations because that seemed to cause more problems also. Instead I put

"Gara ges Rem odels Addi tions with Ro nnie Eiv ens De s Mo ines Io wa and Surrou nding are a's".

This title contains what he does, what city and state, and his name. That should pretty much narrow it down I would think. Any other ideas to further along his hits?

Edited by ciulmer

Other factors which I am sure help the Google ranking is to choose a domain name that is relevant, so a domain name that is www.desmoinesgarages.com will be recognised by Google as the main website for Garages in Des Moines and given a little more importance, coupled with the analysis of the text.

Also revise the website frequently as this is noticed by search engines. They will start to ignore a site that is never updated.