Webdesign Payment

ciulmer

Some day id love to get into web design as a profession but dont have the time with current scheduling and family to get any schooling done other than what ive researched on my own. But I was curious as to what some might charge for different sites? I just made a simple site with dreamwearver that ive posted in other posts and was given 200$ for making the site and the client paid the fee for putting it up on a server with a new domain. Was 200$ to much for that site? Any info is appreciated as always!

Simply figure what your time is worth per hour and then determine hour many hours it took you to complete the website design project. You would then divide the total amount paid for the project by the total hours you've put into it. If the results is under the amount you think you are worth per hour then you didn't get paid enough.

Your Time Value Per Hour = A

Total Hours Spent On Project = B

Total Amount Paid By Client= C

C divide by B shoud = A

A times B should = C

C divide by A should = B

It is technically illegal to discuss fees. Depending on your age you may remember when Big Oil used to meet and work out what to charge. It destroyed competition so the Gov. made it illegal.

We fall under that ruling. If we agree on the cost of design there is no competition and the customer looses. You really want Big Oil agreeing on how much you pay at the tank? :|

We have a sticky above on the subject.

• 1 month later...
You really want Big Oil agreeing on how much you pay at the tank?

I agree completion is good and price fixing is bad, but unfortunately OPEC does not agree. LSW most likely was referring to Shell, Moble, etc,.

Being new to web design and getting ready to hang out my shingle, I've had the same concern about pricing - where do I start? I don't want to work for free and don't want to price myself out of the market either. But judgeing from what my future competitors are charging, I need to raise my prices before I even start. In my area from what I can tell, most seem to be charging around $60 per hour for updates to a present site, but it varies from below $60 to $145.

It's a free market, so charge the most you can while retaining work and keep in mind that anyone can work for free.

Here are mine. For my area I believe they're on the cheap side. But I'm new, so that's how I prefer it. http://www.visibilityinherit.com/client-worksheets/prices.php

About what you said LSW... It's funny what you said. Can't talk about prices because it supposidly kills competition, but how am I supposed to "compete" with someone if I don't know what they charge. I know your just paroting the law - but that whole idea is just stupid if you ask me.

Everything I charge, be it rentals, daycare, etc... I like to be in the average and give a good product - everybody wins! But with web design, I'm making guesses at best. Thats one reason why web design prices are across the bord.