Using Web Templates

NuCoder

Good Evening Everyone

As a newbie, I am curious to know if it is bad practice to use web templates as opposed to designing the site entirely myself. As I have a basic understanding of HTML, XHTML, CSS and some Java Script, and wish to put code together to start on a website, I have no background in Photoshop or Flash. (Artisitic Background - even schooled at Ringling Art School here in Florida). While I begin to Learn Photoshop, After Effects and Flash, is it ok to use templates at a fee, or am I better off holding off until I learn the world of Adobe? (To me, using another ones templates seems like bad practice) Any input and or advice is greatly appreciated...

Templates are okay but you really want to be able to create sites from scratch and define your way of coding that benefits you. I for one detest templates because it seems that some of the coding are off the wall or unneccassry. Does it mean it's bad? No but to me it's takes me longer to figure out what the codes are before I can really get to work on it. However, templates can a great learning tool to help you see how and why it was coded the way it was.

If you find a template you like, why not take a snapshot of the demo and then splice out your own images, add some uniqueness to it and code it using your method of coding. That way you are familiar with the code and updating will come easy.

I believe in the CSS forum we have a standard CSS file that has the basic default settings. It's very good and can make your task a bit simpler once you get familiar with it.

Hi

I am a newbie and ive just finished my first site using a template and frontpage, my site is 6 pages with flash, sound and and a photo gallery, the best thing I found was that everything can be easily modified, deleting and adding text was a doddle as was changing images so I would definatly recomend it as I have learnt quite a bit about html purely by experamenting and now have a very pro site.

Im not very PC literate (plumber) so to learn coding ect from scratch I would of got a headache and quit

Luckymarble.com are worth a look! the instructions that came with the template are very beginer freindly, although I had to download program called swish to try and edit the logo, this wasnt easy to use and was a pile of cr@p

Goodluck!!

Killersites has a sub site with standard compliant templates for free, have a look at WebShapes. Templates , if they are good templates, can be good tools for learning and just playing with to see what things do, also a real time saver. If you are working as a web designer, you can use the structure but will want to change it to your style of coding. If it is just your site your doing then templates are fine.

Guest Cashster09

I actually liked the swish products especially swish max2 and swish minimax2, but then again i've had some experience with the Adobe Flash program....