What to learn first? Html, adobe illustrator...

I am obviously a newbie at this but have a few questions that I just can't figure out myself for some reason. Even though I've checked out a few different websites. My conundrum is as follows:

I would like to learn html, php, and javascript languages to build dynamic, fun, and functional websites but I also want learn graphics design so that I can have some great looking websites to showcase the websites. I guess what I'm asking is should I learn graphics design first or web design first? I'm already really familiar with Photoshop CS4 which makes it a little easier on Illustrator CS4 but I would really like to know where everyone stands on this. Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses:)

It really helps to have at least some basic graphic design knowledge before you start creating websites. This doesn't mean you can't learn html while learning Photoshop or Illustrator. Both can go hand in hand if used properly. Most web designers create a mockup design before they even begin coding the html/css.

I don't think it matters whether you learn graphic design or web design first. However, you will need to learn HTML and CSS first together and if you are familiar with Photoshop and Illustrator you will then be able to design and build static websites.

Once you have a good handle on that, you can move on to learning the programming languages. I wish you luck with both, it is difficult to be good at both aspects because of the left brain right brain syndrome.

This is my old war cry as a web developer.

It does not matter off the top what the web site looks like. People and search engines want content, so you have to have that first. Even if it is blank white people will come if they find the content they want.

On the other side a pretty web site with no content.... won't be visited a second time.

Besides that, HTML creates the structure for the images.

First learn HTML and get the site up and running, after that you can always learn Illustrator if you want that sort of images and then re-skin it as you like. But without the site there is no use to the images... you can use a temporary template until your graphics are as you wish.

Web Designers tend to place more importance on the look and feel where we developers are more code and structure oriented.

Minor point... It depends on the designer, but most designers use either Photoshop or Fireworks to do design (or a free/low cost program like GIMP/Paint Shop Pro, etc), rather than Illustrator. Illustrator can be used, and some like it, but realize that Illustrator deals primarily with vector artwork, and Photoshop/Fireworks work with pixel-based designs. The web is entirely pixel based, so anything that you create in Illustrator for the web would then get exported from vector artwork to pixel artwork.

Unless you are planning to do print work, where working with vectors is going to be necessary, web design doesn't really require you to use Illustrator.

Thanks to all. This has been helpful. I would like be good at both but I know html and programming languages are going to be my hardest to learn. So I think I'm going to tackle those first. I understand that illustrator is a vector based program but I would be mainly using it for logos. Otherwise, I would be designing everything else in photoshop which I already have a decent background in. As for content, most of the site would be either for personal or personal business related in which I already have a pretty good ability for copy (as long as it's something I'm passionate about). Anyways, I appreciate the input thus far.