validating with flash

Guest Cashster09

Guest Cashster09

Hi,

I have placed my flash logo on one of the pages just to test it and it works great....the only problem is now i get no validation even with transitional and all my errors are from the code from the flash.

classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"

codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0"

id="logofinal"

width="820" height="230"

>

type="application/x-shockwave-flash"

pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"

name="logofinal"

width="820" height="230"

src="logofinal.swf"

bgcolor="#FFFFFF"

quality="high"

allowscriptaccess="samedomain"

>

www.web drycleaners.com

thanks in advance

Generally speaking Flash does not validate. It is meant to use but that is not well supported, so you have to use which is widely supported... the dumb part is that embed is not part of the HTML standards, hence will not validate. It is just a hit you have to take.

That said there are supposed to be ways to get it to validate, sort of a work around but I do not know it, some of the others will so be patient and I am sure someone can discuss it better. But for me as a Validation advocate... just take the hit, it will not make the site less useful than the Flash itself, so failing validation for that reason is justified and other developers will recognize it and users will not care.

Guest Cashster09

yes just that p tag....I will fix that...

so, basically this wont affect my page and how it is viewed on several browsers?

so far i checked my page on IE 6, 7, FF 3 and chrome and it all works with the flash and the page shows up the way it supposed to...

I was thinking the same thing....DONT WORRY ABOUT IT, since my page basically validates without the flash....

thanks for the input

Edited by Cashster09

I have made many attempts to using all kinds of solutions to create a validating flash that works in all browsers for various operating systems and I have found that none of them work for 100% of the market.

So LSW is right, if you want it to work for all the users, take the hit.

Guest Cashster09

Also, i know awhile back you had to click the flash to start playing it....IN all newer browsers including ie 6 you dont need that fixit.js anymore? JUst curious...

Also, i know awhile back you had to click the flash to start playing it....IN all newer browsers including ie 6 you dont need that fixit.js anymore? JUst curious...

This was a problem with one of the IE update a few years ago but has since be resolved with a later update. So no, you really don't need anymore.

Edited by newseed

Also' date=' i know awhile back you had to click the flash to start playing it....IN all newer browsers including ie 6 you dont need that fixit.js anymore? JUst curious...[/quote']

This was a problem with one of the IE update a few years ago but has since be resolved with a later update. So no, you really don't need anymore.

I would say yes you do still need it. Opera has that problem too! And my IE's still suffer from it. I give my two cents, and my solution in the link I gave above.

Guest Cashster09

I guess i'll have to use fixit.js...It has worked on another one of my sites.

Your other solution seemed to difficult

by the way, what IE do you still use? SP3 has fixed it for windows xp...

Do you have to "click to activate" on my logo?

www.webdrycleaners.com

Edited by Cashster09

I would say yes you do still need it. Opera has that problem too! And my IE's still suffer from it. I give my two cents, and my solution in the link I gave above.

According to MS, an update has been produced back in April 2008. A short blog was posted here in this regard.

So if you have these issues then you may not have your system up to date or it's flawed.

As for Opera, I know at one time it did not support ActiveX but I am uncertain if they do now.

I would say yes you do still need it. Opera has that problem too! And my IE's still suffer from it. I give my two cents' date=' and my solution in the link I gave above.[/quote']

According to MS, an update has been produced back in April 2008. A short blog was posted here in this regard.

So if you have these issues then you may not have your system up to date or it's flawed.

Yeah, me and about twenty million others.