A couple questions on OOP

AzizLight

Hi everybody,

There are some stuff about OOP that are not clear for me:

1- when I declare a class, and create a constructor with several optional parameters as such:

class FooBar{
   public $foo, $bar, $foobar;

public function __construct($foo, $bar=null, $foobar=null){ ... }
}

If I then want to create an instance of that object with $foo and $foobar as parameters ($foo being madatory, $foobar being one of the optional parameters), how would I proceed?

The only way that I see is creating it as such:

$foobar1 = new FooBar(1, null, 3);

but if I have 30 optional parameters and I want to create an instance of the object with only one of the optional parameters I will have to type null 29 times and put the value of the wanted optional parameter at the right place?

Not convenient, so how should I proceed?

2- When I create a class Foo:

class  Foo{
   public $foo;

public function __construct($foo){ ... }    
}

and a another class bar that extends foo:

class  Bar{
   public $bar;

public function __construct($bar){ ... }    
}

Is this the correct synthax for the Bar class? Or should it be something like that:

class  Bar{
   public $bar;

public function __construct($foo, $bar){ ... }    
}

Thanks for your answer. I forgot the keyword 'extends' indeed, that was a mistake of me. But what I wasn't sure was the synthax of the constructor of the child class. I wasn't sure if I had to repeat the parameters or not. The answer is: yes and no. It depends what I actually want. If I want the Bar class to have two parameters then I have to include all the parameters. So the correct synthax would be the second one.

For the first question, the "logical" synthax I provided is the correct one too. In the case of a class with a constructor that has 30 parameters, I figured that either the class is very poorly writter or the level of the code is so high that by the time I write a class with a constructor that takes 30 parameters I'll know how to manage it :P

So after asking questions in the Freenode ##php irc channel and researching and testing (and...that's it :P) I managed to answer my own questions :)

Anyway, thanks again for you answer