paragraph won't allow formatting

bkelly

I created this class (I think its a class) in the css file to define a paragraph with a border.

.paragraph_border
  {
  font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
  font-weight: bold;
  font-size: 12pt;
  color: green;
  border-top: 2px solid blue;
  border-left:  2px solid blue;
  border-bottom:  2px solid blue;
  border-right:  2px solid blue; 
  }

This I used it with this paragraph in index.htm:

Links to Local Golf Sources  

"The Golf Doctors" on Merritt Island can repair your clubs and provide the golf 
   accessories you need.  Check them out at 2137 N Courtenay Parkway.  To check
   their web site click 

As shown, it works as expected. However, when I uncomment out any of the formatting code it disrupts the paragraph. The border is not placed correctly.

What is going on here? Can this be made to work?

Edited by bkelly

The

tag defines a paragraph. -

By using you hide what's in between from the browser, so it's like it's not even there.

That said - there should not be anything between a set of paragraph tags but maybe inline styling. is a header tag - headers belong above paragraphs, not inside them.

is for line breaks - it's not supposed to be uses to create space. the center tag is deprecated and should not be used.

So the HTML you have above should really look like this:

Links to Local Golf Sources

"The Golf Doctors" on Merritt Island can repair your clubs and provide the golf
accessories you need. Check them out at 2137 N Courtenay Parkway. To check
their web site click

And never use "Click Here"

Are you trying to hide something? You don't want the user to know where they are going to go? Blind users should blindly trust you?

Click here is unprofessional, user unfriendly and incorrect if you have more than one per page. Just use

TheGolfDoctorisin.com

so they know where they are going.

Thelma,

I intended to hide those lines in my post because they were not working. Wickham found that I left quote marks off the end of the link and that fixed one problem.

Is there a way to center just one line within a paragraph? I wanted that line "Links to Local Golf Sources" to be centered within the borders of the paragraph. Can that be done?

Wickham,

Thanks for noting the missing quote.

LSW,

I didn't intend to hide anything as the web site shows when they get there. But I understand your comment and they viewers should should see the address before they go. I'll make my links as you suggest.

It appears to me that if I define a paragraph style in my CSS, and use that style in a page, then I cannot put a sub paragraph inside the first one. Closing the sub paragraph appears to close out the CSS declaration/definition. Is there a legitimate method of embedding paragraphs within paragraphs in CSS?

Is there a way to center just one line within a paragraph?

Various ways.

You have to start a new paragraph or heading with text-align: center; either inline

Centered text

or as a class

.centertext { text-align: center; }

Centered text

or you can use a span tag inside one p tag which needs display: block to start a new line 100% wide. This keeps the same line height and margins between lines (a new p tag will probably create more space between lines):-

css:-

.centertextspan { display: block; text-align: center; }

html markup:-

hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello

hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello

hello hello hello hello hello hello

hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello

hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello hello

Edited by Wickham

But for the part we're discussing here (see Post #1), the logical, semantic solution is to put the TITLE (Links to....) inside tags - which one (h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, etc) depends on the remaining content.

Thelma, Wickham, jlhaslip, Virtual, and LSW,

I think I understand the last three posts. Thanks.

You have helped me resolve the initial problem and led me to much new information. I think I'll let this stop here and continue working on improving my site and expanding my knowledge of what you have shown me. Thank you for all the time you spent answering my questions.

:) :) :) :)

Bryan

Edited by bkelly