How to trial in different version browsers?

htwingnut

How do I trial my site in different version browsers? I didn't think you can install IE v6, v7, v8 simultaneously. Doesn't it overwrite?

I believe portable versions of Firefox exist for both v2 and v3 and that should suffice.

I also use Chrome for most sites now, and think that is significant to test for, but only one version at the moment, so no problems there.

There's http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/ for different IE versions. For other browsers, I have Fx, Safari, Opera, and Chrome installed, usually the latest version, and there, I don't worry about prior ones. I'm not aware of versions being any significant issue with anything but IE, of course..........

IE8 supports it now (supposedly).

There is a meta tag that tells IE that the site should use the rendering engine for IE?.?

In theory if you set the meta tag for IE6 and look at it, then change it to IE 7 and then run it as usual for IE8 and you should be good. This was done so lazy people need not rebuild their sites to standards, they can keep their poorly built sites and still use IE8.

But I am not sure how accurate it is this way... any of the others tested it yet here? In theory we should be able to test all IE browsers this way.

Browsershots http://browsershots.org/ and netrenderer are useful to see how a page looks in different browsers, but you can't check how they work, like drop down menus.

To get different versions of IE on one computer you can download a "virtual machine" from Microsoft which sets up a virtual operating system to which you download IE8, or use Tredosoft http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE which installs a different IE version, but it may be complicated to do.

The other alternative is to buy a new PC! My XP PC with IE7 is seven years old and causing problems so I've bought a new PC and put IE8 on it. However, IE8 still has bugs so I wouldn't get rid of IE7 and rely on IE8 just yet.

As LSW said you can put this

just after the

tag of every page which makes a viewer using IE8 process the page as IE7 which could save problems if you are not confident that your page works well in IE8. (I believe that it only works to emulate IE7, I don't think you can emulate IE6 and you can only use it from IE8, not in IE7 to see IE8.) Edited by Wickham

Have you tested it yet?

The easiest way would to make the page with either a template or includes, that way you need not change every page of big sites, they will call up the code from a separate page, so you just change the code on that one page to test all pages.

Have you tested it yet?

If you mean the emulate IE7 meta tag, yes I have and it does work. However, it's not 100% perfect according to reports as it is just "an emulation" within IE8.

I needed it when IE8 beta 2 was being tested, but now that IE8 RTM is the final version and much better, I've removed the meta tag from my pages.

Yea, I was wondering about the accuracy and if it can be used to test other versions without having to have stand alone versions or virtual machines etc.

I forgot to reply to part of the original question...

Install Safari 3 for windows, it is good enough to be sure it works for Mac users. It is also based on Konqueror, the other big Linux browser so both are covered.

Opera should be tested, aside a growing user base, it is the only well known browser available for mobile use (don't think Firefox has released theirs yet) and it is the browser base for the Wii.

Firefox, if it works then it will work on Mac and Linux machines with Firefox, also SeaMonkey, Netscape, Mozilla, Camino...

Google I think is worth testing as I use it to allot.

But IE is the only one you really need to worry about version numbers with.