Hourly rate?

Hello,

A client wants to use my services on an "as needed basis", so she just wants me to charge her at an hourly rate (verses by the job). So I'm taking a pole! What do you guys charge? I live in the San Diego area, so I will of course take that into account. I personally am not trying to get rich from my hourly charge. Just looking for a conservative/fair number. Thanks!

Opps, just googled the topic, well thats stupid! OK, so what I meant to ask was, what do you guys charge to mow someones lawn? Personally I like charging by the hour when I mow lawns.

Edited by Eric

When I develop or rebuild a new site, I present to them a standard hourly rate that I charge and then provide them how many hours it would take to complete the site. Thereafter, they already know what the hourly rate is if they were to request more services such as maintenance or anything that is outside of the scope of work of the original agreement.

Sometimes it's hard to determine how many hours it would take to do the job but if you have a niche like I do then it becomes easier to provide a more accurate quote.

Well discussing prices is technically illegal, we don't want Oil companies agreeing on prices right? Stifles competition. So we are not allowed to speak of it.

But it also depends on many things. It is your time you could spend with wife, kids, dog, zapping zombies or building other web sites. Wear and tear on your PC, taxes, insurance, food and drink... I will say double digits and not starting with a "1."

Well, in my off-web personna, I earn in excess of $20.00 per hour as a skilled Trademan, so my time mowing lawns is worth that, too, since if I was working at my trade in the off-hours (which I do) I would be earning that.

Consider that $20 to $25 per hour is the opportunity cost of not being able to spend my time in another manner.