Portfolio Q's

spiralmind

I'd like to hear back from the community regarding how to put together a proper portfolio. Any tips or ideas? What have you done in the past? What works and what doesn't work? Do you use screenshots of your work?

I've put together dozens of websites, but guess what... I've never put together a portfolio or taken it to the next level. How should i proceed?

If any of you have portfolios that you'd like to share I'd love to see them to help get some ideas.

B)

For your portfolio of websites you need to keep local copies of your work as delivered to your clients. Why? Because clients will in time, change what you have done and many times the changes they will make will be bad. So you need to show people your work and not some chopped up version.

I would have a screen shot of the website and a link to your local version or at least large screenshots of what it looks like. Point ou the tech you used to build them, and point out any highlights like:

- implemented a JQuery slider

- processing forms with custom php script

- implemented Wordpress and created a customized Wordpress theme.

... etc

Stefan

I've found that the more detailed you can be about the project, the more effective it will be. Simply linking to the site or providing screenshots isn't enough -- talk about the goals of the project, what technologies were used, any problems or issues you overcame, etc. If you can talk about results (increased sales, increased visitors, etc.) talk about that too.

I would definitely use multiple screenshots rather than just linking to the site you built. As Stefan said, sites change over time as they are updated, and it's best to show them off based on your involvement, not after the fact when they have been updated in ways you can't control.

Not sure how you guys would (Or should!) handle this, but I have at least two websites that I am proud to have created, - but they are all gone bye-bye as businesses!! (Maybe they were not that great?)

I use them in my website's portfolio (With the original owner's permission and with significant details omitted,) because I just like them!

Good idea? or not?

Alfie

Not sure how you guys would (Or should!) handle this, but I have at least two websites that I am proud to have created, - but they are all gone bye-bye as businesses!! (Maybe they were not that great?)

I use them in my website's portfolio (With the original owner's permission and with significant details omitted,) because I just like them!

Good idea? or not?

I don't see a problem with keeping them in your portfolio. You can always specify that they are no longer online, but still provide screenshots. A couple of items in my portfolio are that way.