Develop Site To Market Into New Areas

Baggy

We have a site which is heavily optimised for a specific geographic area and it does OK. We now wish to expand into other locations but are unsure of how best to do this.

We prefer not to have to buy new domains and create new sites for each location, particularly because this would mean a lot more copy writing to make each site different.

It would also seem that we will have great problems with Google Maps (Google+ or whatever they call it now), as there won't be physical addresses at all new locations.

Any/all advice on how we can best move forwards, will be greatly appreciated.

As far as new domains, just by new ones and point them all at one basic site if you want a few new ones, no need to make copycat sites.

As for content you can program it in using switch cases. The are more or less like IF statements.

IF Argument (say: IP is Pacific North West)

use this content

IF ELSE (IP is Midwest)

use this content

Switch cases are much the same, but writing both depends on the language you use. A PHP case would be like this:

<?php
if ($i == 0) {
   echo "i equals 0";
} elseif ($i == 1) {
   echo "i equals 1";
} elseif ($i == 2) {
   echo "i equals 2";
}

switch ($i) {
   case 0:
       echo "i equals 0";
       break;
   case 1:
       echo "i equals 1";
       break;
   case 2:
       echo "i equals 2";
       break;
}
?>

The first thing is to decide which language you want and how to define your areas. I know you have seen web crap directed at you... "Meet singles in the Juneau area!" & what content needs to be flexible? About us stays the same... but contact us may offer street addresses for certain geographic areas, and just email for others for instance. Then certain content , even paragraphs, can be switched out depending on where the user is. This way you really just need one web site.

This is all very general but should get you started on what you need to figure out how to plan the site. Once you know your separation, ie geographic location for instance, your can plan and write the text that needs to be changed on the fly. When you have planned what needs to be done, then you can come back with specifics and get help on how to actually do it.

So plan out what you want to do, we want to change this text (preferably already written) and we want to change it when a user meets this criteria... say location is: Alaska vs Michigan? Juneau vs Anchorage? Pacific Northwest vs Midwest? East Coast vs West Coast? USA vs Europe?

Then you can come back here and say "OK Mates, how can I best find out where a user is located meeting (the above criteria)?" & "Would the better choice be IF / Else or Switch Case?" & "Can you tell me what is wrong with this code, I get ... error."

But before we can help you much more, YOU have to know what exactly it is you want/need to do. But it is rather easy to do what you seem to whish to do.