Caching questions

Lulu

Hi

I've put together a small, simple website. However I'm still working on it. Everytime I make changes to it, I and other users who have previously viewed the website have to refresh every single page for the updates to show, particularly those affecting the navigation bar. Shouldn't 'Refresh' refresh the whole website, or have I done something wrong?

If this is just the way a website normally works, can I force the website and/or individual pages to automatically refresh by using something like the pragma: no-cache tag? If I can, what are the implications - is it a question of the speed the page and images load? Are there any other considerations?

If I don't do this, what else can I do to stop the situation where users have to refresh every single page?

Hope to hear from someone soon!

I might be wrong but what I think is happening is that your browser stores pages that you have visited. So what I do when this happens to me is close the browser and reopen it. Some times this works some times it does not. I probably would not worry about it to much sense you are still building the site as it will not be a problem when you have the site done.

I might be wrong but what I think is happening is that your browser stores pages that you have visited. So what I do when this happens to me is close the browser and reopen it. Some times this works some times it does not. I probably would not worry about it to much sense you are still building the site as it will not be a problem when you have the site done.

Hi, and thanks for your response. The problem isn't really with me, as I know to simply refresh the page/s. However, many of the users of the site aren't very computer literate and don't really understand that you have to refresh pages. Also, you have to refresh every single page which is a nuisance.

If you, or anyone else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again.

As a newbie it used to bother me too but usually clearing the browsers cache and waiting a couple of minutes works fine.

http://help.unc.edu/2053

Also, you can look into changing the browser settings of your immediate users so their cache is cleared/deleted each time they close their web browsers and also possibly making changes to their Temporary Internet Files and History Settings.

Edited by linton

As a newbie it used to bother me too but usually clearing the browsers cache and waiting a couple of minutes works fine.

http://help.unc.edu/2053

Also, you can look into changing the browser settings of your immediate users so their cache is cleared/deleted each time they close their web browsers and also possibly making changes to their Temporary Internet Files and History Settings.

Thanks for your post and the link, linton. Do you, or anyone else, know if there is a way to refresh the whole website rather than one page at a time?

Thanks for your post and the link, linton. Do you, or anyone else, know if there is a way to refresh the whole website rather than one page at a time?

I would not think this is possible - after all, a site is viewed one page at a time, and how would you refresh something that hasn't even been called upon?

I would not think this is possible - after all, a site is viewed one page at a time, and how would you refresh something that hasn't even been called upon?

Thanks for your post, Andrea. I kind of figured that, but hoped I was wrong!

You can download CCCLEANER from this site to clean your cache, recycle bin etc. Go over the cleaning settings etc just to be sure you are deleting stuff you want to delete. http://www.piriform.com/

Also, I asked this question on this site sometime ago and here is the answer I got.

http://www.killersites.com/community/index.php?/topic/7012-what-is-the-best-way-to-update-web-pageswebsite/page__p__30618__fromsearch__1#entry30618

Generally, it is good to be patient since things do not happen 'instantly' because of the processes involved.