php contact form error

frankmill

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this....

Have just been through the php videos in the webdesigners course.

I'm trying to apply the php stuff by making the contact form on my website usable.

I pointed the form (eg when a user clicks on "send" on the webpage) to a page called contactprocess.php, with this code on it:

<?php

//Contact form processing code

$yourname = $_POST['name'];

$youremail = $_POST['email'];

$yoursubject = $_POST['subject'];

$yourmessage = $_POST['message'];

$emailmessage = "yourname: {$yourname} with an email of: {$youremail} and message of: {$yourmessage}";

print "Your message has been sent";

mail('info@logbookcarloan.org.uk', $yoursubject, $emailmessage);

?>

When I input the contact_us.php page (pointing to contactprocess.php) from localhost I get the following erro:

Your message has been sent

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: "sendmail_from" not set in php.ini or custom "From:" header missing in C:\xampp\htdocs\contactprocess.php on line 21

Line 21 is this one here:

What do I need to do to get this to work?

Kind regards

Frank

Can not help you with your problem. But I am responding to help you with a problem you might have in the future. When naming files you should use camel casing or a dash not an underscore. Why is because sometime you might need to underline something. What is I find mostly used is the camel casing. This is starting your first word in lowercase and each word following with uppercase like this camelCasing.

There are times like your $_POST when you need to use the underscore because that is how the variable was wrote for you.

• Upvote 1

When I input the contact_us.php page (pointing to contactprocess.php) from localhost I get the following erro:

Your message has been sent

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: "sendmail_from" not set in php.ini or custom "From:" header missing in C:\xampp\htdocs\contactprocess.php on line 21

It's much better to test from an online page where the email PHP code will be processed by your host's server.

If you want to test sending an email from localhost on your pc you will have to edit the php.ini file in WampServer or XAMPP as follows:-

http://roshanbh.com.np/2007/12/sending-e-mail-from-localhost-in-php-in-windows-environment.html

and also use Apache Server in one of those installations. Set the smtp server name of your ISP where the example has SMTP = smtp.wlink.com.np the smtp.wlink.com.np might be smtp.supanet.com or smtp.your-isp.com

and edit smtp_port = 25

The php.ini file may take some finding in all the files WampServer or XAMPP give you and then the php.ini file has a lot of content and you have to find the correct places to edit.

Make sure you add the $headers = ‘MIME-Version: 1.0′ . “\r\n”;

$headers .= ‘Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1′ . “\r\n”;

in your process file.

Edited by Wickham
  • Upvote 1

Most excellent, thanks Wickham. I uploaded the file to the server and it works fine.

In the end I included a webpage to make it look much nicer:

<?php

//Contact form processing code

$yourname = $_POST['name'];

$youremail = $_POST['email'];

$yoursubject = $_POST['subject'];

$yourmessage = $_POST['message'];

$emailmessage = "yourname: {$yourname} with an email of: {$youremail} and message of: {$yourmessage}";

include("messagesent.php");

?>

Also thanks for the tip grabenair! Will bear that in mind for the future.

Regards

Frank