The logistics of running a website?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jeffy

Jeffy

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

I have a few specific questions about the logistics of running a website. I am not sure if this belongs to the "Business" section strictly but since my question are about finances too I assume this is the right place.

(The following is purely hypothetical)
Assuming I would plan to build a website about frogs. On that site, people could upload pictures of their frogs (or submit them) which then are posted in a blog-like format. Similar to this website: http://cuteoverload.com/.
The functions would encompass a news-blog functionality and perhaps the ability for people to register and create an account on the site (not a forum account) on which they can view their submitted photos and the like.

Now I have several questions about this scenario:

1. Logistical

1- Assuming the site would have around 100 photos submitted by people per day, what hardware do I have to rent to support that traffic? (storage space)
2- What are the specific differences between renting a webspace and renting a "box"? I assume box means renting a complete dedicated box and the former being a smaller part of a box.
3- What would the average running costs be? Rough estimates for American or Western European hosting.

2. Business

1- Assuming I call my site "frogsite.com", do I own the rights to the name of that site once I grab the domain name or is there extra legal work needed to copyright that name?
2- Assuming I would hire someone to create that site, in what price range would I be in? (Not asking for an exact quote, only trying to approximate in what ballpark it would be in). This assumes average pricing for western europe/USA based companies.

#2 Ben

Ben

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

I can't really comment on a lot of this stuff, so others can feel free to chime in if they know more than I do...

Logistical:

1 - I would personally start small (assuming this is a brand new website), with a simple shared hosting plan with a reasonable amount of space/bandwidth, and keep an eye on the traffic, scaling as necessary. What exactly you need depends on your traffic, and it may be a good idea to discuss some of these questions with a web host. Obviously, if you get a lot of traffic, you'll pay more for hosting, so I wouldn't go out and purchase the most expensive hosting plan you can find only to figure out your website idea doesn't take off.

2 - I believe you are asking about the difference between a shared hosting plan and a dedicated hosting plan. Yes, you basically have it right -- on a shared hosting plan, multiple websites share the same web space/machine processing power, whereas when you have a dedicated box, only you have hosting on that machine and (depending on your hosting) you may have the ability to upgrade specific parts of the hardware/software as you see fit.

3 - I can't really comment on this. A web host would be a better one to ask.

Business:

1 - No, you just own the domain name. Copyrighting the name is separate and extra.

2 - Depends on who you ask, their skill level, what functionality you need, when you need it by, if there is pre-existing software available that will reduce the amount of work, etc. Your best bet would be to get quotes from a variety of people, and go with the quote you feel the most comfortable with, based on your interaction with the person/company. Don't necessarily pick the cheapest quote -- you may end up getting what you pay for.
Benjamin Falk
Falken Creative : Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users