Preferred CMS

DanExcel

I exclude WP for the simple fact that it has become what Joomla use to be - about four years ago (give or take). I've been reading a great deal of hate articles by a handful of programmers with tunnel vision that think everyone in the business should create their own CMS from scratch (reinvent the wheel repeatedly). What is your take on it?

I recently started to use Drupal. It has some learning curve but it is very flexible for programmers providing a huge API and a lot of great modules. I was too in this dilemma about building my own cms from scratch. Not any more.. There is no way that your CMS can compete drupal or wordpress even if you are great developer.

Anyway i think drupal is a great choice if you want to build custom things for your clients. It provides great API as i said before with build in validation engine and stuff like that. Plus you will have a huge community behind you which means great support.

Each CMS out there has its logic to build a web site or a plugin and you have to learn that logic. That is a good thing in my opinion because you will learn the "right way" to make things for the cms you will choose and that means your project is going to work because that logic is already tested by the guys who made it

If you want anyway to build a cms from scratch consider to build it using a php framework like codeigniter or zend or cahephp because they also provide API so you don't have to worry about basic stuff like validation and your code is going to be much cleaner and robust otherwise there is a big chance that you'll end up with a messy code if you use raw php...

Edited by dianikol85

Unless you have very specific requirements that can't be met by existing applications, or you are doing it as a personal project to improve your skills, I don't see a huge reason to build a CMS from scratch.

I worked with Concrete5 just recently, and had a pretty good experience overall. I've also heard some pretty good things about Expression Engine (and I use CodeIgniter, which was created by the same company) so that might be worth checking out too.

Unless you have very specific requirements that can't be met by existing applications, or you are doing it as a personal project to improve your skills, I don't see a huge reason to build a CMS from scratch.

In desperate times, I sometimes tend to consider desperate ideas...

In desperate times, I sometimes tend to consider desperate ideas...

Keep in mind -- sometimes, you can build on top of existing CMSs to get the functionality you need. I know both ModX and Symphony are built with that in mind (and I am sure there are others), and are intended to be extended and added to. That might be a faster option than trying to do something completely from scratch.