Return of the Samurai

LSW

They are back, the WCAG Samurai have come slinking out of their cellar into the light of day. The open question is: Will they change the wold?

The WCAG Samurai are a semi-secret list of the worlds top Web Developers and Accessibility Gurus who, dismayed by the weak points of WCAG 1 (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) and not impressed with WCAG 2 drafts, and blatantly unhappy with the bureaucracy and power mongering going down inside of the W3C working groups by international corporations, simply decided to do their own thing.

So they packed up some junk food and beer, invited a few fellows they respected, walked into the cellar and shut the door on the rest of us for a year.

Well they are back with sword in hand. This sword is what they have dubbed the "Errata."

The WCAG Samurai Errata is a list of guidelines that are to be followed (if you choose to accept the mission) along side WCAG 1. Learn and follow WCAG 1 and then pic up the Errata and slice the needed corrections. The errata follows along WCAG lines but corrects some that never worked or are to old. In other places it deletes guidelines or check points or modifies them. Oh, and it executed Priority three completely.

Now I am having a bit of fun with this. I also have my concerns about us being locked out... but then again democracy has it's limits and the larger the group the harder it is to get anything done.

I have read the introduction to the Errata and it is drastic and severe, but hey, look at some of the garbage coming out of W3C these days. It will take some getting use to and I have my doubts on a few points. But I think I will build LSW following the Errata if I can.

As I see it, it is like a big election. If you vote for some new upstart party, are they going to win? No, hardly. But the loss of your vote along with thousands to millions of others does send a note to the big parties that they are not doing what we the people want.

So the Errata will not overthrow the W3C or likely change it. But it can send the message that:

A) WCAG 1 is not bad, just update and modify it.

B) WCAG 2, we are not impressed

C) The web and accessibility is just not a play thing for big business.

Remember the old saying "What if there was a war and nobody came?", well what if their was a WCAG 2 and nobody used it, or what if the W3C put out a new anything and nobody cared?

We are not required by law to listen to or accept W3C or WCAG and WCAG is just guidelines.

So I will not bow to the Samurai elite, but you have a nod of consent and I will be rooting for the Errata to make waves if not change. In the end accessibility is about the people and doing what is right, whether it meets WCAG or does not... or goes beyond it.

WCAG Samurai

Introduction to WCAG Samurai Errata

WCAG Samurai Errata for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 1.0

Peer Reviews

http://reviewsamurai.wordpress.com/

http://samuraireview.wordpress.com/