Sidebar in dremweaver

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Terri Lynn

Terri Lynn

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hi all, I'm a little new at dream weaver and brand new at this forum. I have built a couple of websites with DW CS5 but I am on my first one with a sidebar. The layout is fixed with header, footer, and sidebar on left, all inside of a container div Here is my question, some of my pages on the website have more content in the content div, and the div grows downward with the more content I put in, but the sidebar does not grow downward with the content div. And with this site some pages with a lot of content and others having less. How do I keep my sidebar running from my header all the way to my footer on every page regardless off page height?

#2 Wickham

Wickham

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts
  • LocationSalisbury UK

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

That's a common question but the solutions can be a bit complicated. Here's one:-
http://matthewjamest...er-css-no-hacks
and some more in items 16 to 19 here:-
http://www.wickham43...xbackground.php

#3 Terri Lynn

Terri Lynn

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

Is there any easier way like changing settings in the DW css panel :huh: anyone?

#4 Abai_Designs

Abai_Designs

• 10 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

I would suggest that you just manually edit the sidebar divs’ pixel height, or you can just add empty paragraphs in the sidebar div. That’s the simplest way.

#5 Ben

Ben

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,655 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

Is there any easier way like changing settings in the DW css panel :huh: anyone?

Not really. Divs expand and contract based on their contents. I wouldn't suggest adding empty paragraph tags or manually adjusting the height on the sidebar. The way I usually handle this is using a background image behind the footer (see 16a in Wickham's link: http://www.wickham43...xbackground.php).
Benjamin Falk
Falken Creative : Twitter

#6 Terri Lynn

Terri Lynn

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

Thank you Ben for your answer :) I ended up photo shopping a background image of the same color as the sidebar at the same width and 10 px high and repeated y. Than I made it the background for container div and it works great. And thank you to the other people that gave answers.

#7 grabenair

grabenair

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:10 AM

What I do is leave the height blank then the box will grow to fit the content. Or put in my content then adjust the height to match. Your wrapper div may also be folding up to stop this put a empty span tag just before the closing div tag.<span></span> this works for me.
Standards will change. But your website needs to remain in serving its audience.
My Portfolio site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users