Joomla or WordPress?

EvaBrown

Both are great CMS. The question you should be asking is which one is better for you to use? Joomla is a bit more complexed than Wordpress as far as usability.

The other thing is plugins/add-ons. I truly think that Wordpress is superior in the quantity of plugins. Joomla is no slouch but it seems you can find more comprehensive add-ons for it. I also believe that Joomla has more commerical add-ons. Typcially, commercial add-ons provides support.

Your best bet to determine which program is right for you is to download and install both on your hosted server or local server and try/test them out yourself.

My personal choice is Wordpress but that's just me.

The wordpress is much easier to setup and understand. I haven't used Joomla! before but I think its similar to Drupal which is one I use. I use wordpress for simpler sites, but for sites that are more complex I would use something else like Drupal.

Wordpress does have a lot of good plugins and themes, if your not into making those yourself.

A CMS that is more complex is usually more flexible.

Edited by jp612

• 1 month later...

From my understanding is that the plugin is pretty good for very small stores. It will not have some functionalities as other high-end shopping carts may have such as apparel options that allows you add various options such as color, size, etc.; or exporting of data for a popular accounting software like QuickBooks; or multiple payment gateways support or cross sale mod, etc.

So if you are planning on making your ecommerce store your primary source of income then its best that you budget at bit more to get the features you need. Otherwise, you can use the WP ecommerce plugin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The choice depends on the type of site you want to create.Word press is very good for the beginners.Its a very user friendly CMS.Joomla is also an award winning CMS.It also supports for all type of web sites.So, according to the type of site, you can choose the CMS to use.

wordpress is better then joomla....

Don't say something like that without arguments. Please explain why are you fun with one or another..... It just look stupid that way....

I play a little bit with joomla. It seems more complete CMS out of the box. Wordpress is not. You can't do all kind of sites with WP

You can't do all kind of sites with WP

Look what a wise men recently said:

Don't say something like that without arguments. Please explain why ......... It just look stupid that way....

I think starting from wordpress 3.0 it's becoming more like a CMS, and you can indeed do all kinds of sites with it nowadays.

But for me, and probably for other developers who worked with a CMS, Wordpress is still a "Blog" software, not a full blown CMS, and carries this stigma ... in my head :) Even though it is now. First impressions count :)

• 1 month later...

Both WordPress and Joomla are excellent, widely used, well supported CMS options. I use Joomla because it is so widely used, always getting better and is very intuitive. There are excellent templates available and support and expertise is easy to find.

• 1 month later...

I tend to think Joomla is a CMS with blogging features and WordPress is a Blogging tool with a lot of CMS features, so there should’t really be any comparison.

Your take on this is correct. There are differences between the two and I would imagine each has its' own advantages ... something worth exploring.

In the end (like all tech choices) it comes down to the project at hand, in that you have to look at what you need to do and choose the best application for your particular web site. As web designers and programmers, it is a good idea to explore each of the major CMS/blog software packages out there, so you can make informed decisions about which way to go given your clients needs.

I'm not saying become an expert, but maybe do a little investigating and maybe install a configure each of them ... to get a feel. So what are the big three blogs and CMS packages?

- Wordpress

- Drupal

- Joomla

There are others to be sure, I just get the impression that these are the important ones.

Stefan

Your take on this is correct. There are differences between the two and I would imagine each has its' own advantages ... something worth exploring.

In the end (like all tech choices) it comes down to the project at hand, in that you have to look at what you need to do and choose the best application for your particular web site. As web designers and programmers, it is a good idea to explore each of the major CMS/blog software packages out there, so you can make informed decisions about which way to go given your clients needs.

I'm not saying become an expert, but maybe do a little investigating and maybe install a configure each of them ... to get a feel. So what are the big three blogs and CMS packages?

- Wordpress

- Drupal

- Joomla

There are others to be sure, I just get the impression that these are the important ones.

Stefan

I have taken in so much info on this issue over the years that I begun to second guess myself at times. One well known instructor/designer - developer says, mastering one specific platform (CMS) is the way to go. Others claim that programming is the only true key to success and salvation in web development. Last but not least is the SEO guru that says his way is the only way.

After hearing all of that mess, I decided to stick with Wordpress, but also take PHP and SEO seriously now. My opinion on which tool is the better of the big three would have to be Drupal. Have I used Drupal yet? Only on my local server. My only issue with it is the learning curve on theming it. That is the only thing holding me back. Call it a designers ego, but I have a problem with using someone else's theme this late in the game.

Edited by DanExcel

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...