Errors When Validating CSS for XHTML 1.0 Strict

straightryder

These are the errors listed below:

97 rss-menu Property -moz-border-radius doesn't exist : 20px 20px

98 .rss-menu Property border-radius doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : 20px 20px

112 #twitter Property -webkit-border-radius doesn't exist : 20px 20px

113 #twitter Property -moz-border-radius doesn't exist : 20px 20px

114 #twitter Property border-radius doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : 20px 20px

197 ul.social-media-cons Property -webkit-border-radius doesn't exist : 20px 20px

198 ul.social-media-cons Property -moz-border-radius doesn't exist : 20px 20px

199 ul.social-media-cons Property border-radius doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : 20px 20px

464 .searchform Property -moz-border-radius doesn't exist : 10px 10px

465 .searchform Property -webkit-border-radius doesn't exist : 10px 10px

480 .sb Property -moz-border-radius doesn't exist : 8px 8px

481 .sb Property -webkit-border-radius doesn't exist : 8px 8px

Does this mean I can't use border-radius at all... *as in won't work in any browser since i used XHTML 1.0 Strict*?

I believe that's a CSS3 property that the validator has issues with -- it doesn't understand a lot of the CSS3 properties and will show you errors even though there is technically nothing wrong. You can safely ignore that error.

Do keep in mind that some CSS3 properties (like border-radius) does not work in IE. http://www.css3.info/preview/rounded-border/ I believe that IE9 will be the first IE browser to support them.

People still use IE... ;)

Unfortunately yes. :P But if it's a minor stylistic element, and doesn't actually affect the functionality of the site, then I'd say it's ok to keep that in. Some users will get the optimal experience, and some will get a slightly different looking version. Of course, if it is important that the site looks the same in all browsers, you'll have to figure out another way to do rounded corners.

People still use IE... ;)

Yep! Still around 55%. Sadly IE6 has about 5% of that market share. I specifically tell all my new clients that coding for IE6 will no longer be the standard in building their websites. Additional cost applies if they desire to have it work for IE6.

My point: We all know that IE6 is a terrible browser but as long as we keep making sites that works for IE6 then the longer IE6 will hang around. It's time to cut off the head of this beast because it's been around way too long (9 years).

Edited by newseed