Internet Explorer 9

newseed

It looks like IE9 to be promising but IE6 & 7 are not going away anytime soon because IE9 will not be for XP.

IE9 Preview

A couple key notes:

HTML 5 support

CSS 3 support

As you read the article, it specifically states a few times the word 'modern'. You got to wonder what is considered 'modern' to MS?

And the Acid3 test is better but still a joke compared to it's nearest competitor. IE9 scored a 55 out of 100.

Browser Test

According to the article and MS forums, it still has a ways to go and will not be release anytime soon. Some say it will be late 2012. However, I suspect it will be released by mid 2011 but don't hold me to it.

Question, has anyone done a pure HTML5/CSS3 site yet or at least a test site?

Edited by newseed

• 5 months later...

IE9 beta release date is supposed to be 15 September 2010 - just two days away according to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_9

It's a pity that WIN XP will not support it as XP will still be used by many users.

I will probably download the beta as I did for IE8. I found that IE8 beta had a lot of problems that were ironed out in the final release so perhaps IE9 will be the same.

IE8 was such a vast improvement on IE7 that I hope IE9 will also be a vast improvement on IE8. It does look as if Microsoft has made an effort.

Question, has anyone done a pure HTML5/CSS3 site yet or at least a test site?

I've included box-shadow, text-shadow, border-radius, @font-face, multi-columns and experimented with canvas and border-image.

All the above degrade without wrecking the page structure if they don't work in a particular browser, but of course the canvas may be showing something interesting but just shows nothing except a warning message if it doesn't work.

I've also tried <video> but found it pretty useless as the videos I have (.swf and .mpg) aren't in a suitable format, although I could get them converted.

The CSS3 @font-face rule has worked in IE for many years but is now supported in Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome and Opera so it's very useful. You don't now have to use complicated Cufon or sIFR for all major browsers.

Edited by Wickham

"It's end of the world as we know it..." (Background music from REM)

" Some say it will be late 2012. "

OMG! Like the Mayans totally called that one dude! I mean like , Late 2012 is the end of the world as we know it and M$ published IE9! Whoa dude, like totally like Terminator dude, IE9 becomes like.. you know... like self aware? "I am IE9 Your Firefox and bookmarks have been assimilated, I am now your only browser, de-installation is futile"

Whoa, that is heavy dude... Ever wonder if the plans for IE were originally found in Mayan ruins?