Company Website

NWR

Good evening everyone, 

This is my first post so please be gentle. 

Like all things they start with an idea, no doubt the idea has been thought of many times before and been invented but what I don;t want to do is re-invent the wheel as such. 

I'm a total beginner so have little or no experience within web design or programming but what I do have is a desire to learn. 

My plan is to create a website for my existing and future clients that consists of multiple pages, client login area, etc. 

In addition once the client has logged in they would have their own area that has things such as a library of their documents, etc. 

I would also like to be able to offer bolt-on's to their portal such as training, document builders, reporting systems, etc. 

Ideally I would like to have a facility that can send out Email alerts/updates, when there is a new news letter or when someone has updated a document, etc. 

A forum would be nice also but not essential.

As I've already said I have no knowledge but would like to learn, I know it's a long process and I'm prepared for that. 

I was thinking along the lines of ASPX.Net, Sharepoint and SQL but I may be way off. 

I'm not looking to be spoon fed, I want to get an understanding of where to start.  With so many different languages out there or design environments I just don't know where to start.

Look forward to your responses.

NWR

• 4 weeks later...

Well, you have chosen quite a large mouthfull to chew!  I suspect that the lack of responses to your post means that you have been pegged as a "parasite" herein.  However, since you are still present here, it might indicate you have legitimate questions / concerns.

The basic answer to your query is:

Learn HTML and CSS first.  HTML tells a browser what the content of your web-page is whereas the CSS tells how to style the contents. (i.e. font, color, position, borders, padding, margins, etc)

Most of the rest of your requirements will be requiring knowledge of programming languages such as PHP or JAVASCRIPT, which is outside of my area of expertise.

*****And may the sounds of angels wings whaft thee gently to thy sleep*****

Johann Sebastian Shakespeare