How To Start Professional Web Design Work

activeworker

Hi guys,

Good day

I like to inform you that I work in oDesk (SEO). I have learnt about WordPress and Web Design, but I never work professionally in oDesk before.

I just want to know that how to start Professional Web Design work if I get this. Which elements need to start for the job? May I ask client to provide something like PSD file or images or anything else for this job?

In fact, I just want to get a start up guideline as well.

No more, I am waitng for your kind response.

Thank you.

This really depends on the client and what they are expecting, and partially on your usual web design process. My process usually follows something like this:

-- Discussions with the client on the scope of the work, provide them with a proposal, then eventually a signed contract

-- Discussions with the client on the content that will be included in the site, followed by the design phase, where I present them with design samples and we work together until they are satisfied

-- After the design phase, I usually move into HTML/CSS/Javascript production of the mockups

-- In most cases, I take those coded mockups and integrate them into a CMS (usually Wordpress)

-- Once the main development is complete, I'll receive the content from the client, edit and format as necessary, then enter it into the site

-- Once the site is ready to go, I'll work with the client to perform any edits and get their final approval, then launch the site

At least in my process, the client usually provides the final content about midway through the project, once the design/development phases are basically complete, and I handle everything else.

This really depends on the client and what they are expecting, and partially on your usual web design process. My process usually follows something like this:

-- Discussions with the client on the scope of the work, provide them with a proposal, then eventually a signed contract

-- Discussions with the client on the content that will be included in the site, followed by the design phase, where I present them with design samples and we work together until they are satisfied

-- After the design phase, I usually move into HTML/CSS/Javascript production of the mockups

-- In most cases, I take those coded mockups and integrate them into a CMS (usually Wordpress)

-- Once the main development is complete, I'll receive the content from the client, edit and format as necessary, then enter it into the site

-- Once the site is ready to go, I'll work with the client to perform any edits and get their final approval, then launch the site

At least in my process, the client usually provides the final content about midway through the project, once the design/development phases are basically complete, and I handle everything else.

Hi Ben,

Just curious if clients are always good about providing sufficient content or do web designers often end up as content writers too?

Edited by Stephenius

Hi Ben,

Just curious if clients are always good about providing sufficient content or do web designers often end up as content writers too?

It really depends on the client. I think the larger the client, the more likely they will want (and be willing to pay for) a copywriter. I have had at least one project where the client just couldn't come up with the content, and where (though we ended on good terms) the project didn't complete because of that. For the most part, at least with the clients I work with, it's usually clear that the client has more experience in their particular industry than I do, and thus they are more suited to writing most of the content.

• 2 months later...

I thinking working with clients is faraway thing, first you should know how to create a professional website, because you need an impressive portfolio to impress your client. activeworker you can take dummy projects from the Internet and practice on them and get the guidance of your any web designer friend physically or online.