Please Review My Website

jvincent

Greetings, I new to web development and currently learning the basic of html,php,css and js. This is the first website that I made for one of our local store. I made this for free and I would like it to be decent when I show it to them. If you have any suggestions for improvement or criticism I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Url:http://sionystreasures.zxq.net/revised/

I like the look of the page.

The navigation is not contained in the actual content, and when viewed with a wider resolution, it moves too far to the left:

thrift.jpg

There are several validation errors that should be fixed.

Justifying text can easily cause display issues - at least add the omitted space between couches and entertainment - that'll help a bit.

thrift2.jpg

Can you find a photo without a date stamp or remove the one you're showing now?

It's best to put all the styling into your external stylesheet, not inline. The only time inline is ok is if a certain formatting happens one time only on your entire site.

Header tags (h1, h2, h3, etc) are SEO and formatting tools and should be used to define headings on your page. Content like 'Open Everyday' and '10:30 - 5:30' doesn't quite meet header criteria. But that aside, format your header tags in your stylesheet not inline.

The scroll marquee isn't working in any of the newer browsers, and that's a good thing - scrolling is kind of a frowned-upon outdated feature from the 90s.

There is an empty box underneath the Facebook link.

Your CSS could use some streamlining. For example, anything 'normal' is default, so no need to even specify it.

Under "#login_box h1 and h2" you first declare text-align left, and in the next line, center. Stylesheets are 'read' from top to bottom, so the lowest style applies, in this case 'center'.

there is not 'float: center"

Check your entire HTML layout - for example, your footer is styled as 800 px wide and it actually spreads underneath your entire contend. You probably don't need all those floats in your CSS, either.

I like the look of the page.

The navigation is not contained in the actual content, and when viewed with a wider resolution, it moves too far to the left:

thrift.jpg

There are several validation errors that should be fixed.

Justifying text can easily cause display issues - at least add the omitted space between couches and entertainment - that'll help a bit.

thrift2.jpg

Can you find a photo without a date stamp or remove the one you're showing now?

It's best to put all the styling into your external stylesheet, not inline. The only time inline is ok is if a certain formatting happens one time only on your entire site.

Header tags (h1, h2, h3, etc) are SEO and formatting tools and should be used to define headings on your page. Content like 'Open Everyday' and '10:30 - 5:30' doesn't quite meet header criteria. But that aside, format your header tags in your stylesheet not inline.

The scroll marquee isn't working in any of the newer browsers, and that's a good thing - scrolling is kind of a frowned-upon outdated feature from the 90s.

There is an empty box underneath the Facebook link.

Your CSS could use some streamlining. For example, anything 'normal' is default, so no need to even specify it.

Under "#login_box h1 and h2" you first declare text-align left, and in the next line, center. Stylesheets are 'read' from top to bottom, so the lowest style applies, in this case 'center'.

there is not 'float: center"

Check your entire HTML layout - for example, your footer is styled as 800 px wide and it actually spreads underneath your entire contend. You probably don't need all those floats in your CSS, either.

Thank you very much, I'll work on it right away. I really appreciate your review. Have a great new year.

It looks good. But in the footer maybe move take out the adress and put this @the year and the name of the store all the way left and on the right put the name of you web design company with it linking to your site. On the font align left. Also put 5 to 7px padding on your img to get the text away from it. On the proof reading, Iam not all that good at it, take out the : from all the like. I think there should be at least 2 paragraphs if not 3, again I am not all that good at writing. As Andrea said take out the dates on the photos. You can do this in photoshop easily. Other than that it is a lot better then my first site. Oh ya almost forgot the adress in the header is kinda blurry.

Edited by grabenair

Good eye benjaminmorgan. I catch myself doing that all the time, writing the way I talk instead if proper english.

Might even try making the heading, what we have, all small caps and centering it.

font-weight: bold;

font-variant: small-caps;

text-align: center;

Just an idea.

Also maybe make the body background a little darker. To me it is kinda bright. But remember that is just me.

I just noticed that you have a rounded border on the img in the main content. If you make the div holding the img a little bigger, start at 2px and go from there. It will look better for the rounded corners not being cut off from the img. You will probably have to align the img after you make the div bigger but maybe not.

Also the image of the store is 2848x1876 2.40 mbs. way to large to use on a web page.

the space it is contained in is about 350x350 it doesnt need to be larger than that and will load much faster.

I like the look very much :-)

Edited by coollew