Web Design Articles
Isn’t it time that you learned the latest web design techniques? Over the last year or so I’ve been busy writing about just that – the new methods of web design that YOU SHOULD KNOW!
If you’re tired of searching through the piles of out-of-date information that is all too common on the web, you’ve come to the right page. My job has been to filter out all the crap and teach you the latest web design techniques that work in the real world.
Besides teaching the latest and greatest, I also inject my more than 10 years experience in web design to help you avoid all my mistakes!
Note: You can find my latest articles on my killer web design blog.
WEB DESIGN ARTICLES 2005
- USE THE 80/20 RULE - Also available in SPANISH
- BROWSER WARS
- DON'T LET YOUR HOUSE GET OUT OF ORDER!
- HELP YOUR CLIENTS KEEP THEIR WEBSITE UP-TO-DATE
- CHECK OUT DIFFERENT PROGRAMS
- USEFUL TIDBITS FOR WEB DESIGN
- A COOL LITTLE CSS TRICK
- FIRE FOX ROCKS!
- PRELOADING IMAGES
- THE 8 STEPS OF WEB DESIGN - Also available in SPANISH
WEB DESIGN ARTICLES 2004
- A beginner's tutorial on creating CSS based web sites
- As promised, we will be taking the next step towards total nerd glory with this first of a three-part article on creating a pure CSS web page...
- Get started programming with Java Script
- Building Websites with web design templates - Also available in SPANISH
- Website templates (web design templates) can be an excellent tool when building a new web site; a tool that can speed up the production schedule, improve the quality of the final web site and just make the whole process of building a web site much easier.
- How to get your website 'live' on the web - Also available in SPANISH
- You are at the point where you built and tested your website on your own computer and now you want to show the world your new creation, but how do you do it? Now that you've come to think about it, you're not even sure how people actually get to websites; where are the websites actually sitting, what is the web in the first place?
- An introduction to Cascading Style Sheets - Also available in SPANISH
- CSS is the acronym for: ‘Cascading Style Sheets’. CSS is an extension to basic HTML that allows you to style your web pages. An example of a style change would be to make words bold...
- Tips for the new web designer - Also available in SPANISH
- This first article is meant to provide some helpful tips for those just learning to build websites. I am not going to go into details explaining specific technology; rather I am going to point out a few things that many people just starting may find useful.
- The do's and don'ts of web site design: Part 1 - Also available in SPANISH and GERMAN
- There are many options available when creating web pages, many good and many bad. The following is a list of some of those options and how I think you should deal with them.
- The do's and don'ts of web site design: Part 2 - Also available in SPANISH
- I've received many emails on the first do's and don'ts article, people wanted more, so I thought a part 2 was in order.
- The do's and don'ts of web site design: Part 3
- I've received many emails on the first and second do's and don'ts articles, so ...
- Creating Multimedia Content - Also available in NORWEGIAN
- In this article I look at some of the options available to create multimedia presentations with an emphasize on introducing you to the basics of multimedia.
- HTML fundamentals: Logical vs. Inline tags - Also available in SPANISH
- The differences between logical and physical tags is one of the fundamental concepts in HTML that, when understood, can have a huge impact on a web designer's way of doing things.
- Database driven websites explained - Also available in SPANISH and PORTUGUESE
- Database driven websites: What are they and how are they built?
- The Creating Killer Web Sites HTML Table Tutorial
- When Netscape added tables to HTML in 1995, second-generation site design became possible. Although tables weren't meant to contain lots of text, people soon found they could use them to get margins and do better typography. This section discusses the thrills and dangers of using tables to do real typography.
- What is Flash, when and why to use it - Also available in SPANISH
- Flash is a vector animation software originally designed to create animations for display on web pages.
- Formatting your web pages - text and font considerations
- There are many subtle aspects that can make a web page and a web site look bad, messy or (heaven forbid!) amateurish, one of these is too many fonts on the page.
- Web site designer tips for the beginner - Also available in SPANISH
- Web site designers today have plenty of options in terms of tools and technologies they can use to build their web pages. Many questions come up: should we use Flash, do we need database driven web pages, do we need a shopping cart for our e-commerce web site, etc ...
- Graphics in web pages - the types of software you can use- Also available in SPANISH
- There are many companies selling software to make graphics for both the web and print. All of these products have their own nuances and capabilities, but generally speaking graphic images that have been processed by a computer can usually be divided into two distinct categories.
- A look at acronyms used in web design - Also available in FRENCH and DUTCH
- An overview of some commonly used technologies in the world of the web.
- What you need to get started making websites
- Making websites doesn’t require much at all; a text editor like notepad and a browser to test your code and you're ready to go if you know HTML.
- Cascading Style Sheets vs. classic web page design methods
- Also available in SPANISH
- The web today is a much different place than it was just 5 years ago. Technology for the web has grown in leaps and bounds and is reflected in the sites we see and the way they are built...
- Working with website designers - also available in SPANISH
- This article is targeted at business owners, small and large, who are interested in getting a web site built for them. When approaching a website design firm, or individual web designers, these preliminary questions will go a long way in forwarding the project.
- Sending email from a web page - Also available in SPANISH
- We discuss ways of sending email from a web page.
- ASCII Characters: Inserting special characters in your web pages
- ASCII stands for American Standard Code for Information Interchange. Computers can only understand numbers, so an ASCII code is the numerical representation of a character ...
- HTML forms - part 1
- An HTML form is made up of a bunch of HTML tags that allow people visiting web sites to enter information or select information from a list that can then be transmitted to the server for processing.
- MVC - Learn how to build web applications using MVC
- It's easy to fall into a trap and treat designing dynamic web sites in the same way one treats developing static web sites. In this article we will be looking at how the MVC design pattern works and why we should use it.
- I could have taken the easy way out, and just manually colored the many table rows. But I quickly realized that the manual way was going to be just too much freaking work – too much work just goes against my basic sensibilities. Too much video game playing time would be lost, so something had to be done!
Note: You can find my latest articles on my killer web design blog.Top